DAY 6: A current challenge

...and my biggest.

WAITING.

while waiting... fox on cardboard (available in my etsy shop)

I watched the Edward Hopper documentary on  public television (tpt) earlier this week.  When he felt he had run the course of inspiration, he would spend all his time at the movie theater or by reading books, locked in his room.  Eventually, he'd say (and I am paraphrasing): There are only so many movies one can see or books to read.  Because, he'd much rather be painting (of course) and, what to do? when his go-to distractions had now run their course?

I love reading and I love movies AND nothing I've found to date is more fulfilling than the painting process.  I, too, will do my darndest to immerse myself in another art form while I wait for inspiration and, most often, there comes a point and time where I lose patience and these other art forms lose any ability to distract.

SIDE NOTE:  There are other ways I spend my time (waiting).  I have a separate work space where I sit and doodle, paint and collage  I develop creative commitments and practice these for 30 day stints (described below).  I take myself on long walks (or walkabouts)  



I think one of the biggest misconceptions, however, is that geographically going somewhere else to find inspiration is what is required.  For me, this is only a set back, something I have to recover from that only puts inspiration more at bay.



I think being emptied of inspiration (and needing to commit to refilling) is completely different than what our culture refers to as creative block but, for those of you who feel you may suffer from the latter, you might find this post helpful:

I read Breakthrough: 90 Proven Strategies to Overcome Creative Block and Spark Your Imagination by Alex Cornell back in 2013.  I've broken this book down for you HERE.

About the title of this post:  I am currently participating in the 21 Days in My Art World challenge, created by artist, Tara Leaver


IF YOU APPRECIATE THIS POST, you may also appreciate:

It's Hard to Wait, 2012

Crossroads, 2011

Against a Wall, 2019

On Being, 2012

Comments

Popular Posts