letting go, lightening up and walking taller



I rooted an avocado pit on my windowsill last spring.  After planting it in soil, it starting sprouting a stem and leaves.  I read that if one makes a practice of removing two of the new leaves, more leaves will grow and this will cause the plant to become fuller.  The first time I practiced this technique, it was challenging.  It had taken SO LONG for this particular pit to root in the first place.  I was scared I'd lose what I'd worked so hard to gain.  Soon enough, though, more leaves sprouted.

A few days ago, our neighbor had a tree in his backyard professionally pruned.  Unlike my avocado plant, it had been obvious that this tree had been in need of some care for a long time.  Instead of being scared, I was relieved (there were drooping branches that would easily break with a heavy snowfall).  When all was said and done, though, I experienced something that was unexpected.  I noticed that the tree seemed much taller than it had before, that my eyes were naturally drawn from the trunk to the very tips of the tallest branches.  Before, my eyes always stopped mid-tree, focussing on the drooping, dying limbs.

This immediately reminded me of one of my favorite quotes by Hans Hoffman: "Eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak."  Like the avocado plant, sometimes we are a flurry of ideas and we are so distracted and overwhelmed, we can't hone in and focus.  And just as with my neighbor's tree, we carry a lot of things around in life that naturally cause us to droop or drag us down, that don't serve us anymore.

I know there is a fear in me that if I don't do it all or if I remove what is heavy and cumbersome, I may have nothing left.  However, with a continued practice of "cleaning house",  I have found that I stand taller, that I feel lighter and that I am able to develop more focus.

Is there anything in your life that no longer serves you?  Is there anything in your life you are afraid to clip away, not trusting that what lies ahead is a fuller future?

If you are interested in working on clearing away the clutter and appreciate and enjoy writing exercises, I  have assembled a small workbook in a PDF format titled Breakthrough! Exercises that Create a Shift in Consciousness.  For more information, visit this link.

Comments

  1. Thank you for the good advice. A minimalist approach to life leave more room for what is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved this post, Kari...great advice about "cleaning house"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I really appreciate hearing from people like you!

      Delete
  3. Timely blog, I spent weekend shedding my closet. I am looking for the necessary to speak to me. thanks for post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the shedding of the closet...such a tangible demonstration and action on your part. Bravo!

      Delete
  4. So true! I look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i also managed to sprouted an avocado pit and it took FOREVER. another lesson right there. rome wasn't built in a day! i apply this mantra to my daily life living with chronic illness:
    "complete fight, total surrender." it takes work, hard work, and then release, to realize life fully. a cleared space to do this helps all the world. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THEY TAKE FOREVER, don't they, Ariyele? It's SO WORTH IT, though, isn't it? How are you, my friend? 'been thinking about you a lot lately...As usual, I SO appreciate you reading my posts and commenting. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Really dug your blog post, Kari. Such a heartier, more plentiful harvest we reap, indeed, when we remember the strength & fullness that pruning provides. Thanks for the good reminder, deary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber, SO HAPPY to read you HERE. Your words are so rich and poetic. Thank you, Friend!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts