better late than...



When we wrapped up the February Creative Commitment Challenge on the 24th, I hadn't given much thought to my creative commitment for March.  With my love for the sun and in celebration of longer, more light-filled days this month, I entertained the idea of 31 days of sun illustrations.  The inspiration just wasn't there.  Yesterday, after surrendering to the fact that I may not feel inspired AT ALL, it hit me.  I prepared my work space, sat down and got to work. 

DAY 5, an echelon of geese


in the 'hood, June 30, 2011
As many of you know, I walk my dog daily.  When traveling by car, whenever possible, I choose to take the parkway along the Mississippi River.  It isn't unusual to see bald eagles and hawks soaring above the river but it still AMAZES me EVERY TIME.  On March 1st, I saw THREE bald eagles soaring together.  I had never seen this before. On the second day of March, a hawk flew above my car.  On the third day, I saw an oppossum in our neighborhood.  * as a side note: when walking by the river (a favorite activity in the spring, summer and fall), I startled a LARGE oppossum and we made eye contact.  Oh, that was also the day I saw TWO bald eagles in a tree *  I guess the point I am trying to make here is that I see wildlife all the time and I think this is fascinating especially because I live in the city.  Once, I saw an entire raccoon family hobbling along in our neighborhood mid-day.  I couldn't believe I had time to capture them with my camera phone.

With my love for nature, my belief in animal totems and the love I have for PAINT, I am committing to painting the animal I see on each corresponding day in March.  After making this decision and completing my three eagles, hawk and opposum, I drove the river road to yoga class yesterday and sure enough, saw a red tail hawk perched on a branch of a tall tree.  I know it was a red tail because I stopped my car and watched it fly to another perch.

There will be days, yes, where I will surely be painting crows.  Sometimes, this is the only wildlife I see.  I am wondering what animals will make themselves known to me now that I have put this intention out there though.  If anything, I will be looking, listening and noticing even more closely than I do  already.  In a general sense, this can only foster, enrich and benefit my creative process all the more.

See photographs of the robins that made a home in our backyard last spring here.

Our guest artist, Anika Starmer, blogged about her experience playing along with the February Creative Commitment Challenge.  Read that post here.

View other examples of my creative commitments here and here.

If you are interested in developing a creative rhythm and need some assistance getting there, check out my online classes or hire me and let's set up a plan that works for you!

Stay tuned in here tomorrow for my Wednesday featured artist interview...

Happy Tuesday!

To see the paintings I have completed so far (and read the corresponding totems), visit my flickr set.

Comments

  1. We are well into March already, but just wanted to stop by and say that I'm loving what you are creating this month! Your painting style and color palettes are both really speaking to me. Go Kari!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anika. Who knows? With the exception of the oppossum, it might just be a bird month! I am ALSO giving myself a lot of space to miss a day here or there and not "make it up" (difficult but breathing through it!) sigh (with smile)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts