follow up notes from April 13

Regarding crossroads or life/work transitions:

When I find I am experiencing a transition in my work (or in life), I look for a creative side project. I refer to these as creative commitments. These projects keep me creating while marking the time where I (can-not-so) patiently wait. 

In 2020, I titled my creative commitment “puzzle people”.  These collages are based on the idea that every person is a unique puzzle of physical features AND that we are deeply complex (puzzling) beings. In some of these people, the negative space is meant to say just as much - that there are still places of our person that can be undiscovered and, therefore, unexplained. View these HERE

View more examples of other creative commitments + ideas HERE

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Read excerpts from Louis L'Amour's memoir, Education of a Wandering Man, HERE

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Regarding pricing:

I found one of my posts regarding this: Why does art cost so much?

And, just some quick numbers:

WHATEVER the art costs, remember galleries keep 50% of the sale (they need to pay their bills too!) and then, the remaining 50% of the sale goes to the artist.  But don't forget taxes!  I save 30% of EVERY check I receive.  This makes paying taxes in April a non issue.  

So, let's say a painting costs 3K.  The gallery keeps 1500. and the artist receives 1500. but, then...taxes! After setting aside, 30%, really only $1050 is the artist's.  And don't forget about operating expenses + material costs.. 

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Making art in the midst of turmoil:

Quotes from Neil Gaiman's book, A View From the Cheap Seats (specifically, the chapter, MAKE GOOD ART)

A recent post regarding a personal experience 

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Regarding rejection:

There are SO MANY stories like this one (really! truly!) but this one falls under creating for yourself AND rejection.  Wayne Thiebaud's (sweet and delicious) subjects were ridiculed by every gallery he shared his work with (and he has stories of going door to door) except for one small gallery who decided to give his work a whirl (the gallery was considered "insignificant" and didn't have anything to lose from taking this "risk").  

I also always reference what I heard Carol Burnett say in an interview once.  Whenever she didn't get a part, she'd tell herself, "It's their turn right now".  It's just someone else's turn (in the midst of a rejection).  I think it's a great practice to affirm that "I'll get my turn as well." or "My turn is coming too."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 

Regarding "Where to go with my work? Who to connect with regarding my work?

Ask for one intuitive thought regarding putting your work out there or connecting with someone about your work.  If you don't get one, this is absolutely OK.  The practice of asking (and listening and receiving) takes time.  If you receive an intuitive thought, write it down.  Start a list.

Follow up on the intuitive thoughts that excite you (give you energy).  If something feels heavy, let it go.  Make sure you aren't confusing fear with heavy.  Learning the line between heavy energy and fear takes practice too.  Stepping out with our work does ignite fear.  Creatives sort of have to get used to this.

Keep creating.  Establishing a habit creates new energy and sends out ripples that DO BRING opportunities TO YOU.  This DOES require patience and trust (something our culture really fails at honoring or prioritizing).  

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Regarding guilt:

I have this one on a list to do a future post about

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

DID I FORGET A TOPIC? Please remind me.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I recommend these two books to EVERYONE!  

The WAR of ART  

and 

If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit by Brenda Ueland (not just for writers!)


other references/recommendations:

Austin Kleon:  HERE

On Writing by Stephen King

(off the top of my head) two documentaries I recommend:

Toni Morrison: The Pieces I am

read some inspirational quotes from this movie HERE

Joan Didion: The Center Will Not Hold

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Last words (for now):

find your rhythm. this may take A LOT of experimenting.  EXPERIMENTING is NOT a waste of time.  honor it.  commit to it.

Comments

Popular Posts