pep talk exercises

portrait of May Sarton, 2019

While in the midst of an array of feelings that can arise while in the practice of being and tapping into our creative person, I rely on a variety of ways to give myself pep talks.

I cannot remember where I first heard of/about the following exercises.  I have found them significantly helpful, though, in giving me the extra umph I need to keep going (if just for the day).


The first exercise is as follows:

1. Identify your mentors 

2. Ask them if they have any insight for you


The "mentors" that came to mind (for me) are listed below.  

This is what I imagine they would say to me:

Pamela Adelon: You are so f*ckin cool

Pat Benatar: Be your own rock star

Patricia Canelake: Know you've got what it takes.

Carol Hagan: Know you've made it (already).

Alanis Morissette: It can be really hard.  Take it really easy.  It will all come together.  

May Sarton: Stay true to yourself.  It pays off.

Patti Smith: The work will take you where you want to go.


Another exercise:

Imagine you are the character in a very good book you have become quite invested in.

What would you like to happen next (with the character)? or How would you like this chapter to finish?

Just like we root for our favorite characters, this can be another way we can find the strength to root for and empower ourselves.  

telephone pole posts, 2012


Note to readers: I make every effort not to mention something when I cannot reference the source AND, I am trying to set this aside, here, because I have found these exercises to be so useful!  IF YOU KNOW any/either source, PLEASE contact me.  I would like to send my appreciation their way AS WELL AS reference them here.


The May Sarton portrait pictured above was part of a series of women authors' portraits I completed in 2019.  View the collection HERE.

Comments

Popular Posts