30 DAYS (and counting)

I used to create creative commitments (a uniquely designed curriculum for 30 day durations). The idea behind these commitments was: 

  • to keep me practicing my daily motto of creating everyday
  • to provide a focus and quiet my overwhelm (which can be a daily challenge)
  • to keep me distracted from attempting to force inspiration (force never works, by the way)

These creative commitments prioritized play and experimentation and reminded me daily of this important mindset. With the practice of creative commitments, inspiration would naturally make itself known in the best way: “out of the blue”. 

But, we all know nothing is truly “out of the blue”, right? 

Well, this isn’t one of my creative commitments but this reminds me of one somehow (perhaps one in reverse?) It WILL be a daily commitment. I’ll be referencing prompts from @writers.write.company and pairing them with work I have already created. For every day in December, I hope to read the prompt and find the best match that comes to mind (a creative act in itself). 

So, here is December 1: 

RUSH

This rooster was my “warm up” on January 28, 2017 (I won’t always know the exact date, by the way) in honor of the Chinese New Year and the year of the rooster. 

Sometimes, we creatives (with SO MUCH WORK that doesn’t work under our belts) experience a moment where harmony just happens. It’s a RUSH! These miraculous moments are one of the experiences that keep creatives working, jonesin’ for the next time that “rush” comes “out of the blue”.

This original rooster has sold but The Year of the Rooster is a popular fine art print, available on paper or canvas. 

HAPPY DECEMBER 1

31 days and counting until 2024

Follow along at @karimaxwell_artist on instagram (posts and stories, highlight Dec '23 CC)

 

Comments

Popular Posts