(taurus) bull

taurus bull, 40x30, acrylic on canvas, 2995.


I know. You’ve seen this already. Actually three times now (see instagram) and

THERE. IS. MORE. I just can’t stop. 


In 2020, I only completed TWO paintings on canvas. Even though I showed up in my studio, every day, it was obvious I was depleted. Did painting the bison do this? Partially, I think. Those paintings really took so much out of me. And, with showing up every day, I did create other, small bodies of work (creative cross training, I like to call it) and these were meaningful projects, but these are never my truest form of self expression. 


Over the last several months, I have completed two more bison (my first two paintings of 2021) incorporating green into my previous bison paintings’ palette. 


The last time I painted a cow (or longhorn) was in 2018. Again, I thought I was done (with cows).  


But then we entered the Year of the Ox. After attending a webinar on this subject, facilitated by a staff member from the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco, I learned that, to the Chinese, Ox and Cow are synonymous. 


I secretly hoped I had it in me sometime this year to paint at least one.  



And, now, BOOMas of April 21, I have painted two. 


violet, 48x30, acrylic on canvas, SOLD

With decades of only painting cows, I noticed old, familiar habits (almost like muscle memory guiding my brush) but I always need to push myself. I always want to grow. 


These bull/longhorns both represent paintings as far back as 2004 but also is a representation of my more recent signature style (a place I’ve worked hard to reach). 


I am just so excited. Can you tell? It’s just I’ve been waiting so long for something just like this. TYMP. 



And here's number 3 (finished October 1):


Batik, 36x48, acrylic on canvas, 3995.



Comments

Popular Posts