my first mentor


Well, maybe, unofficially (or officially), my second?

I've been extremely fortunate to have mentors.

My mother-in-law was my first.  After she saw my first painting (that I completed at my dining room table with a tiny set of oil paints and one brush), she bought me my first easel, paints and brushes.  I probably never would have opened it all up either unless she hadn't been there and got me started.  I had one day with her in her studio and, from that day forward, I never stopped painting.

Once I had created a significant body of work and I had a few small exhibits, my confidence grew and I started to reach out to other artists I admired.

Carol Hagan was one of those artists.  She was such a source of encouragement for me!  To this day, I have never met her in person.  All of our correspondence was via email.  But she was so generous with her time, feedback and support.  There was a time when we were represented in galleries that were just blocks a part from each other.  She would visit my work and I would visit hers.  I hold a special place in my heart for her work and her generous spirit.

This image is from a recent exhibit I saw on a quick trip to Montana last summer.  I left a personal note in the guest book.

Comments

Popular Posts