creatives need support

If you have been creating for several years, you probably are more aware of your creative cycles. Being that my sanity depends on documentation, I have been able to note specific times of the year, narrowed down to several weeks where my productivity is especially high.  

But what to do when you find yourself in a holding pattern?  Easiest (and hardest to practice) answer is to JUST KEEP GOING.

I have found myself in a holding pattern for over a month now.  The best way to describe this is that everything feels like it has been"tabled" regardless of the actions I am taking.

One way I manage these holding patterns is by creating my own check lists.  You can read about these here.  Another way I manage is to lean into my support system.

I met with this support system last week in the midst of a Minnesota snow storm.  I didn't feel like leaving the comfort of my studio on this particular day and, even though I'd experienced the opposite time and time again, I didn't have any thoughts that meeting with them would change my circumstances at all.

We spent over an hour together, noting what had been working and what was challenging.  They gave suggestions of actions to take.

I left this meeting feeling lighter and surprisingly, even though the snow storm had gotten worse, the drive home was easier.  And then, all of the sudden, the flood gates opened.  What had felt all stopped up for at least a month, started flowing freely.

I was reminded, once again, that the act of asking for help and receiving support is just as important as anything else.




Comments

Popular Posts