wish I was here






I recently saw Wish I Was Here.  I haven't seen a movie of this caliber for a very long time.  The last movie I ranked this high was Happythankyoumoreplease and this was released in 2010.

I have loved movies since I was a young girl with braids, sitting in the back of my Mom and Dad's VW bus on the way home from my first viewing of Star Wars.  I sat day dreaming out the window, having had an intuitive sense at a very young age of the power of the broader message.  And not wanting to lose this sense.  I was eight.

Wish I Was Here tells the story of a family, all mixed up and trying to get by, not pretending but enjoying what they can.  It slowly evolves into a small yet most significant right of passage for all characters.  The acting is superb.  The soundtrack is spectacular.  And there is magic and reality tied to the power of a broader message.

Why don't we spend our time with movies and images like this?  These are the ones that remind us of our humanity, humility and our specialness in the ordinary.

Bravo.

If you see one movie a year, I hope you see this one.

see other movies I like here

Comments

Popular Posts