on creating

image source, Life Hack.


Austin Kleon responded to a question on his blog of how one remains focussed on their creativity in an "ever-distracting world".  He said, "...get up early every morning, don’t look at your phone, don’t get on the internet, don’t even talk to anybody, and work..."

Steve Jobs summed up my creative process perfectly when he said, "You can't connect the dots looking forward, you can only connect them looking backwards." 

Barbara Sher who wrote the well known book, Wishcraft, breaks down the creative process into 3 steps.  
She says:
1. PREPARE (in other words, decide on your materials and schedule your time)
2. LOWER YOUR STANDARDS
As someone who was raised to think that I should always be raising my standards, this is still a difficult one for me to get my head around.  SO many creatives reference this same idea though.  Try not to use your head.  Use your heart.  Be gentle.  Just show up.  She also says, "You're not supposed to be good at the beginning." (well, duh! why didn't I EVER think of THIS?)  
3. GET SUPPORT (you never have to do it alone)

Brian Johnson says (and I am paraphrasing here):
Build your will power muscle by either stopping or starting SOMETHING
Rock your fundamentals
Re-commit at 100%
Quit being a perfectionist (I say, SERIOUSLY, DO THIS RIGHT NOW.)
Get things done

Here is what I say:
1. create a space
2. set a time
3. gather and go


If you want some assistance putting some of these wise words to practice, enroll in an upcoming class, have a painting party or consider 21 days of creative coaching.

Happy Art Making!





Comments

  1. Good advice all around, though early morning creating will never be for me... :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts