Take 5

I was staring at my computer screen this morning wondering what to write when I received a call from a very good friend.  After catching up a bit, she mentioned Dave Brubeck's recent death as well as the song Take 5.  I don't claim to know much about Brubeck at all but I can easily say I've enjoyed his music (more often than I have consciously thought).  I immediately played the first You Tube that appeared after Googling "Take 5".  Without hesitation, my head started bobbing, my feet started tapping and my body started moving.

I've been experiencing some unnecessary stress and tension this week - something I do to my self on occasion (let's be honest - on MORE THAN an occasion).  I continuously forget that at any point I can decide to "take 5" and let my head bob, my feet tap and my body sway.  There's a lot I can learn from watching this video from 1961.  This quartet looks like they are thoroughly enjoying themselves.  When Joe Morello takes his solo, he looks so relaxed (yes, the opposite of stressed and tense).  He plays with such ease, his drum sticks look like they are natural extensions of his body.

I want to Take 5.  When I experience stress and tension, everything gets stopped up, discombobulated, and much too complicated.  I've had experiences in my life where my "drumsticks" have felt as though they are natural extensions of my being AND, I can easily say, this has NOT been the case this past week.  I think I'll Take 5 today - as many times as I need to.

Do you need to Take 5?  Take it now.  It's more valuable than you can imagine.

p.s. Ha!  This post just reminded me of a cow I painted back in 2007 titled, "Give Me Five"







Comments

Popular Posts