quiz taker

So this is kind of fun.  I was always the type of person that took quizzes in magazines (absolutely and positively just for fun) in my adolescence.  Remember those quizzes?  I can't remember one specifically but I always thought it was fun.  If I could answer 10 questions, I could draw up a score and that could answer something about me - ha!  Anyway, this quiz taking interest has never left and anytime I come across an exercise in a book, I consider it fun to try it out.

Yesterday I was reading a book on networking titled, Why Should Extroverts Make All the Money?  Another title that doesn't quite sit right but after searching the keywords "networking" and "introvert" at the library, this was one of my results.

In this book, there is a chapter of exercises and I jumped right in to do the first. Here it is.  The author titles this one "work related values".
Want to play?

Rank each category with:
1) not at all important
2) not very, but somewhat important
3) reasonably important
4) very important

Here are the categories:
advancement
working on the frontiers of knowledge
authority or responsibility
helping society
helpin others
challenges
working for something you believe in
public contact
enjoyable colleagues
competition
freedom from worry
influencing people
enjoyable work tasks
working alone
being an expert
personal growth and development
independence
artistic expression
learning
location of workplace
tranquility
salary
change and variety
having time for personal life
fast pace
power
adventure/risk taking
prestige
moral fulfillment
recognition from
security and stability
physical work environment
chance to make an impact
clear expectations and procedures

After ranking them all, the author wants us to choose the five most important categories that we rated as 4s.
Was this challenging for me?  YES.

The idea behind this exercise is that it forces us to prioritize what's most important to us in our work.

Have a go at it.  Leave a comment and let me know how it works for you.

Comments

  1. I always loved taking those magazine quizzes too! They were fun! I was surprised to find that I picked out my top 5 4's right away. In fact, at first I thought I'd only chosen 4 of them, and wasn't sure about what the fifth would be! I feel like my results are pretty inline with the way I've been working, plus a few qualities I'm looking to work on in the next year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts