posted prayers

my recent telephone pole post, an excerpt from If You Want to Write

Nearly an entire summer has lapsed since I have posted here.  The longer I have been away, the harder it is to begin. This summer surely hasn't been one of my favorites but it has been and will continue nonetheless.  There must be something from this summer and it's difficulties that I will be able to take with me and apply in the days, months, and years to come.  In the midst of challenges, we never know what we will reap for new growth.  I find myself hoping for a longer fall, one of sunshine, blue skies and beautiful golden light.  I feel a bit clingy and desperate for this, wanting it to save me in some way or another.  

I am in the midst of another big transition both inward (they are always happening, aren't they?) and in my physical, daily world.  I am able to see the light, now, and am looking forward to uninterrupted blocks of time for long walks and time to sit and reflect.  These activities are something I need and want but because of other demands, I have been unable to do them.  In addition to a toll on my spiritual and emotional self (as I occasionally have mentioned here), the summer's demands have taken quite a toll on my physical body and I have had to do a lot of resting in my free time (resting that doesn't feel luxurious but feels frustrating).  

This summer we have been to my expansive place four times (camping on the sandy shores of the great Lake Superior).  We were also fortunate to have the ability to vacation on ocean front property for five days in California.  After taking a day to unwind during these get aways, I was able to experience long walks, quiet reflection and, as a result, I experienced a few creative sparks.  I am grateful for this time, for it is a reminder that life is still waiting and exists.  

I get pulled between blogging and journaling and feel as though whatever is placed here, isn't placed there and if one were to read both, there might be more understanding.  I have journaled more this summer than I have since the winter of 2010.  I have been re-reading May Sarton's Journal of a Solitude as well as Brenda Ueland's If You Want to Write.  I consider these two books bibles for my creative soul.  I started a project (more for my benefit than anyone elses) of posting quotes on the telephone pole in front of my home.  These quotes are old favorites or newly discovered.  They have been prayers.  

Here's to being "re-charged".

Comments

Popular Posts