Urban Earth: a shift in perception



My exhibit at the Paul Larson gallery is up through August 10

ARTIST STATEMENT

I spent my childhood exploring the shores of the Northern California coastline. I celebrated my birthdays in the midst of the giant red wood forests. As a young adult, I spent my time in the mountain ranges of Montana, hiking, biking and skiing. There is such power in nature's majesty: ocean, mountain, tall, tall tree.

When I moved to Minneapolis thirteen years ago, I spent years trying to find "my place" in the midwest: exploring less traveled lakes, parks, and rivers.  I would leave these places with a feeling of defeat. Although I was grateful to have these opportunities in a city, my heart still ached for those limitless, grandiose spaces. Where was my place?

Once I acknowledged and accepted that I wouldn't be able to experience the nature I knew, slowing but surely, nature made herself known to me. I was surprised by her form of communication.

It started out as quiet and subtle.

I walk daily: in my neighborhood, around the lakes, through the parks,down by the river. Slowly, my eyes shifted from searching for the larger picture to seeing the smaller one: nature's detail. I felt reborn. It was baffling to me that I could have the exact same relationship with naturethat I had had in the past (it was just up to me to be willing to change myperception).

These images represent the detail of nature: something I have always overlooked while being captivated by nature's giants. I am grateful for experiencing nature, now, with every step I take. Have we taken the time to acknowledge what, may at first, seem small? Have we taken the time to experience them? This is my attempt to do so.



Thank you to all of those who attended last night.  I am extremely appreciative.  If you weren't able to make the opening, the exhibit is up through August 10.
Urban Earth, Larson Art Gallery, University of Minnesota, St. Paul 

click here for a sneak peek

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts