on being

Untitled by kari maxwell
Untitled, a photo by kari maxwell on Flickr.
It takes so much discipline, so much trust, so much practice, so much sitting, so much emptying, so much conscious filling to be an artist. Believe me, I think it's worth every bit of the effort. The creative process, for me, is unlike any other. I was born to create and I will continue to create in some form for my remaining lifetime.

I was attempting to explain the creative process to someone this week, something I understand deep inside me but something that is so difficult for me to articulate. For me, an emptying is required. This is a process in itself: deciding what to carry physically, emotionally and spiritually while, meanwhile, taking the time it takes to shed the rest. Following this there is a period of waiting (without "filling") that requires an acute sense of patience and trust. It requires sitting with the empty space in solitude, while being still. In this stillness, I may be fortunate enough to feel a small spark of inspiration. More time is required to sit with this spark, feeding it gently while providing various opportunities to give it a voice.

Being is the beginning, middle and end of it all. In addition to the sacred spaces I have created in my life, there is still more evidence I need to work on being.

Comments

Popular Posts