some dedications


I am having a difficult time trying to articulate all of my thoughts over the past few days. First of all, I feel grateful to have had the time to think, ponder. Usually, my life whirls away from me (almost daily) and it is a constant discipline for me to learn how to get it back. Yesterday, I spent the morning walking in the woods along the Mississippi (practically in my backyard). Today, I have spent the morning in the sunshine in my backyard, covered in blankets, reading Brenda Ueland.

Here are some of her thoughts (and my dedications):

For Teri, and her introduction of Brenda Ueland to me in the FIRST place (and, who I believe, truly understands what an introvert I truly am)...

"They do not know that good ideas come slowly, and that
the more clear, tranquil and unstimulated you are,
the slower the ideas come but the better they are."

"And it is Tolstoi who showed me the importance of being idle, - because thoughts come slowly.
For what we (create) today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing."

"...that what we (create) today is the result of some span of idling yesterday,
some fairly long period of protection from talking and busyness."

For Jen, because I want her to create and experience the power of filling one and filling others simultaneously...

"...this creative power should be kept alive in all people for all of their lives...
Because it is life itself. It is the Spirit...How could we keep it alive?
By using it, by letting it get you, by giving some time to it."



To John, who continues to remind me almost weekly that grinding and work don't ever have to coincide and believes, in fact, that they shouldn't...
Happy Birthday, John!

Oh, and Jean, who experiences clarity and who stands by her convictions. I love and admire this...

"...I tell you all these things to show you that working is not grinding but a wonderful thing to do; that creative power is in all of you if you give it just a little time; if you believe in it a little bit and watch it come quietly into you; if you do not keep it out by always hurrying and feeling guilty in those times when you should be lazy and happy."


For Claudia who demonstrates the limitless possibility of ideas (all the time)...

"...ideas in you are an inexhaustible fountain...
No human being, as long as he is living,
can be exhausted of his ever changing,
ever moving river of ideas..."

And, finally, for me...I always want to put my finger on the solution and hold on to it tightly, thinking I've just finally figured it out until, moments later, realizing it has all changed, again....


"...the true self is always in motion like music, a river of life, changing, moving, failing, suffering, learning, shining."

"And do not try to be consistent, for what is true to you today
may not be true at all tomorrow, because you see a better truth."

And if you are reading this and have not noticed a dedication personally to you, please believe that if a quote rings true for you, it is already yours.
Take it and see where it takes you...

Comments

  1. I have always wanted to be someone who understands what the solution is. I try on projects looking for one that fits. I never seem to find it. I wonder what having the solution would feel like. Would I be full or bored?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts