do it. create. walk and see. cut and paste. scratch and sniff.
do whatever you have to do to feed your soul.
this is my commitment.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

my very own cruise ship



Last Saturday I found myself sitting in silence for 3 hours in one of my favorite chairs with one of my favorite quilts.

I read this excerpt in Anne Lamott's Plan B a few days ago:

" ...I take in the comfort of my own home when the world has gotten me down, left me incredulous and defeated. At those times, I make a nest for my baby self on the couch in the living room. I stretch out with a comforter and pillows, and magazines, the cat, unguents, and my favorite drink....These are periods of stress and Twilight Zone isolation...Even at - especially at- these times, I hate to stop, though I know that to go faster and faster and do more is to move in the direction of death. Continuous movement argues a wasted life. And so I try to create a cruise ship, to carry me back toward living...it's unbelievable healing; it resets me. Yet it takes time, at least two hours. You can't rush a cruise ship; you can't hurry doing nothing. After awhile, you see the sweetest, most invigorating thing of all: one person tenderly caring for another, even if it's just me taing care of me on my old couch."

I am so grateful to have someone articulate both the need and results of creating "a cruise ship".
Thank you, Anne Lamott.

No comments:

Post a Comment