renovations

You who graduate

Who expect no less than six figures

Who partner

Buy a house

Birth your first child

Trade in your cars every three years

Birth another child

Get promoted

Renovate and sell

Buy another

You who expand, multiply, make more, spend more

Who winter in Mexico, Hawaii, or Costa Rica

Who summer at the family cabin

The exteriors improve and stack one on top of another

Until the kids have left the biggest house you've had to date

And it's time to downsize...

to a luxury condo

Your lives seem fast and busy and make me wonder if you are getting where you want to go.


I who graduated

Who got a job with benefits

Who partnered

Who was promoted but not financially compensated

Who worked to be worthy

I didn't realize this was off

Who got a dog

Who played

(I had become far too serious at a very young age)

Who explored and adventured 

(on a small scale, nonetheless, but I was overdue)

Who lived here and there, not knowing where to land

Who eventually did buy a house

Who made repairs

Who added an extra bath

It’s been almost twenty years

We still need new windows and exterior paint 

And now the initial renovations need renovating

Not only do the finances for this feel daunting

More importantly, I do believe I cannot do with the upheaval 


My house is my sanctuary

I have wanted to leave this state and geography many times

But I cannot leave this house


Bigger and better for me takes up too much space 

…in my head

I don't even want to be concerned about the ongoing maintenance required for two cars

There are no winter vacations to Mexico, Hawaii or Costa Rica

I have tried alternative versions of this but just feel uprooted

I finally found my roots 

And even after almost twenty years, they still have not completely relaxed for fear they'll be uprooted


I just recently understood what nutrients my roots need

I paint.  I read.  I write.

My roots need more time to relax, stretch out, and swell with good food

I think that's the story behind this story: 

initially, I lacked the proper nutrients


The interiors of my self are constantly evolving and being renovated

My life develops in private.


Your life develops in public.


And I think both should be honored with the same respect and credibility.


karimaxwell@mac.com




If you liked this post, you may also like:


MY YARD/MY LIFE

I Think I am Learning

INTERNAL LANDSCAPE

5 Decades

The Home Project

NOTICE THIS



Comments

Popular Posts