enter pigeon

14x11, acrylic on canvas

Unexpected?  That’s the story behind ALL the subjects of my paintings.  

It started with cows (someone who had no personal relationship or exposure to cows in her life).  It continued with large scale rabbits.  There was an abrupt  turn towards buffalo (bison being the proper term).  

This work is clearly unexpected.  Are you thinking Spring?  If so, I am so sorry to disappoint but I do know these birds were not inspired by this hopeful thought.

I am not sure yet why these birds have made an appearance.  At first, I thought  they would be sparrows but then they very clearly wanted to be pigeons or doves.  Did you know there is no difference between the two according to scientific nomenclature? I didn’t.  How unexpected!

30x40, acrylic on canvas

40x30, acrylic on canvas


It took me years to understand or begin to articulate why I HAD to paint cows:

My intent is to remind the viewer that although every individual is more than likely part of a group, they are most importantly, a unique individual.  Perhaps these groups of animals we sometimes overlook can be seen differently.  Perhaps instead of noticing herds, flocks or colonies, we’ll begin to notice individuals.

Pigeons definitely give even more weight to my intentions for expression here.

11x14, acrylic on canvas


But there is more than subject, too.  There is method or approach.  With every body of work, I am consistently working at stretching myself.  I knew I wanted to be more illustrative in my style and lighter in my approach.  These subjects appear less grounded than my previous work. There isn’t  a better subject to embrace this idea  than a bird.

30x40, work in progress

If we consider words synonymous with unexpected, words like unpredictable, uncertain or unsure arise.  I think our human tendency is to initially clench or to tighten in the midst of circumstances that are such.  But what if we looked at unexpected differently?  What if we looked at it as an opportunity to be pleasantly surprised?  

“I think, for an artist, when you are making art, you want to be surprised as much as the viewer expects it themselves.”

                                       -Deborah Oropallo


 Here's to HAPPY SURPRISES!                                   


All work is available for purchase in my etsy shop


https://etsy.me/1JJMOna


Comments

Popular Posts