dripping + frameless

fine art prints on cotton velvet paper
and gallery wrap canvas available

NEW ADDITION/EDIT:

Over the last four months (fall '23/winter '24), I have painted over my drips with two paintings.  I have regretted this significantly both times.  PLEASE TAKE NOTE!  It's something about covering up the depth or the work that was required to create the piece.  I have an aversion to "cover ups" in painting (and, more importantly, in LIFE).  There is also so much more to be experienced than what we, at first, (just) "see" (first impressions?).  I want to my paintings to be an experience.  It's like by painting over the drips I am erasing the experience (the soul of the painting).  This is as best I know how to articulate this right now.  


THIS WAS WRITTEN IN 2021:

Not only do I view the dripping on my paintings as grounding (representing the interdependency between animals and earth), but, more importantly, the dripping represents the reality of life.  Bison can be drooling and simultaneously viewed as magnificent.  

And if they aren't, I believe they should be.  

to lay me down, 30x40, acrylic on canvas

And when will we ever make this connection to people?  When will we just accept individuals as complete in all their realness?

Adding a frame to my paintings, puts an abrupt end to the dripping.  Their connection to the earth is intercepted.  Frames also represent a certain kind of finishing or completion as in tying something up with a bow.  


It is very important to me that these paintings be seen in all their realness, that their perfection be realized in their imperfection. Without a frame, the paintings aren't as physically fragile either.  They represent the durability that they have worked so hard to earn.

If my collectors choose to frame my work, this is different for me.  For some reason, this does not offend me.  In the painting's exhibition state, I feel as though it has made its statement.  I believe in order for a collector to purchase, the painting was initially appreciated in all its bare rawness and this is the way they will continued to be recognized.

things are looking up, 30x40, acrylic on canvas

off duty, 30x48, acrylic on canvas

Patricia Canelake (although, I have never met her) is one of my local art heroes.  I love her work.  I hope to be the proud owner of Skywalker some day.  In the meantime, I continue to be enamored. This video of her moving her paintings from one place to another demonstrates their reality, durability and the trust they have in her as their creator.  And this really moves me.

Comments

Popular Posts