Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Minnesota

Yesterday, May 13, around 6:45 pm, I was driving east on Lake Street and noticed an adult rabbit severely struggling to cross this very busy street.  I stopped and used a blanket in the back of our car to pick the rabbit up and swaddle her (or him) and drove the short distance home with the rabbit in my lap.

These events are disturbing enough for me but, because I know the Wildlife Rehibilitation Center of Minnesota (WRC) is available for support, I don't feel completely helpless.  Their website is incredibly helpful, even walking one through the steps of how to care for a variety of animals if they are closed for the evening.  See this information HERE and scroll down.

This wasn't the first time I'd be taking an injured animal to the WRC but it was the first time for Peter.  He drove us there last night.  

I was received at reception by such a compassionate person, obviously very well versed in exactly what to do not only with the injured animal (immediately feeling for a pulse on the rabbit who's circumstances has significantly taken a turn for the worse) but with the people who bring them in (she had a very keen sense I was close to tears).

This time my efforts didn't result in a success in that it saved a life but I do (and want to) believe we offered a more comfortable way for this animal to pass.  I asked reception if I did the right thing and she immediately said, "ABSOLUTELY." and told me a miraculous story of a tortoise that was brought in yesterday who was believed to be near death but is now alive and well.

Peter stayed in the car in the parking lot of WRC while I was with reception and took note of the people pulling into the parking lot with boxes of injured or misplaced wildlife.  Right behind me in line was a woman who was bringing in ducklings that had clearly lost their mother (they had received coaching from WRC over the phone before taking the ducklings in).

I read on WRC's website this morning that they received over 100 patients yesterday (128, to be exact).  This was a new, all time record.  I cannot emphasize enough how grateful I am for their service.

I plan on painting the rabbit that was lost so tragically yesterday.  In the meantime, though, I am remembering City Gal.  This gal was inspired by the deer that lives near our home, directly IN THE CITY.  The first time I saw her there, I pulled my car over, called the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Minnesota and spoke with reception.  They asked me a list of questions that I could answer, observing her from my car.  When I was able to answer these questions with confidence, they were able to give me the A-OK on her health and well being.



I have been rescuing injured animals my whole life.  It wasn't until I read this excerpt from Robin Wall Kimmerer's book, Braiding Sweetgrass, a few years ago when I felt like what I have felt for my entire life could finally be expressed in words.

...in the Native ways of knowing, human people are often referred to as "younger brothers of creation".  We say that humans have the least experience with how to live and thus the most to learn - we must look to our teachers among the other species for guidance.  Their wisdom is apparent in the way they live.  They teach us by example.

REMEMBER: Not all found animals need rescuing!  Please contact WRC for coaching on whether to interfere or not.

Donations to WRC can be made via THIS LINK 


Comments

Popular Posts