my ongoing battle with spring (in Minnesota)

the fresh wash of spring rain (in May), 20x16, acrylic on canvas, 795.

Similar to my feelings regarding travel, the fact that Spring is my least favorite season can also be considered sacrilegious.  Both of these "confessions" are very difficult for the majority to make sense of let alone not take extreme offense to.  But this is my truth.  And it hasn't changed.

In the winter, give me all the snow you'd like (mind you, I do not have to commute) and sub degree temperatures (at least the sun is shining).

And I don't feel like I need to defend my love for summer and a very long fall but...

Spring? just yucko.

My perspective of Spring in Minnesota on a continuous basis: just a mess of muddy melt mixed with frozen patches, gray skies and dampness.  Of course there is the occasional day where the sun is out, the sky is blue and the birds are singing.  I call these open window days.  But they usually don't come to us consecutively.  There seem to always be placed here and there between long patches of downright dreary.

Not being a Minnesota native (sorry all you natives who have such love and loyalty for your state - I truly respect it), I have always said that summer in Minnesota doesn't begin until July and May/June is the kind of spring I enjoy.

So what to do with the Marches (is it Marchs?) and Aprils?  I should probably live elsewhere during this time.  It always hits me like a ton of bricks.  So much, so, that I have to paint it sometimes.

arguing with spring, 12x12, acrylic on paper, mounted on panel, 2" deep



And if you've gasped out loud at this post and want to gasp EVEN more, read THIS POST regarding my feelings about travel .

DS, not sure if this is a social media post?  Your call.  I totally trust your gut.

Comments

Popular Posts