my post office



Uhm, yeah.  THIS exactly!

I love my post office.  I appreciate the opportunity to walk there at least once a week.  I don't mind if there is a line out the door.  There usually is.  Most of the people in line with me are patient.  They exchange courtesies with their neighbors (otherwise strangers) and might even possibly make momentary friendships.  Some people (I would say most, at my post office) exude happiness while waiting (which is really counter to our culture).  They must know what I know about my post office: 

One of the clerks has been there for YEARS and years.  You might call him a neighborhood/post office icon.  He knows everyone in line (and if he doesn't know you, he acts as if he's just opened the front door to his home and you are welcome to just plop on the couch).  I am NOT kidding.  He is definitely worth witnessing.  Talk about someone who has made a sincere and conscious commitment to creating his life experience EVERY day. This particular clerk most definitely sets the mood with his interactions, putting all those at ease who are waiting in line.  This frees us up to enjoy each other or our observations while we wait.

And then, of course, there is THIS (see image).  It was sent to me in the mail from a dear one. No other way would be quite as monumental, would it?  But, yeah, it's like this.  It's JUST like this.  I may have never witnessed a box fitting perfectly in a cart but I have definitely witnessed my share of mini miracles where, for one moment, a small group of strangers witness and celebrate together.  Someone else's win is everyone's win.  Did I mention how different we all are too?  All of us waiting?

If only we could take a bit of this experience with us into the rest of the world.  It's possible.  We just need to create it.

Comments

Popular Posts