crossing thresholds



crossing the threshold, 24x24, acrylic on canvas, (2012), SOLD

I have been thinking a lot this week about breaking through barriers.  It has caused me to remember this painting, Crossing the Threshold.

My initial sense of a present or upcoming barrier causes me to balk and feel defeated.  I do envy those who feel invigorated and challenged, deciding to plunge into the impossible without looking back.  I know, for me, forcing an entry is not the answer.  What works for me is sitting with the barrier, starting a conversation with it and becoming softer, more observational and curious.  This process takes much more time and my patience is constantly challenged.  Doubt and self criticism rear their ugly heads.

Fortunately, there is strong evidence in my life that this process works.  With consistent practice of patience and persistence, previous barriers have become permeable, even soft and pillow-y as this painting suggests.


::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


Crossing the Threshold was part of a body of work I created and exhibited back in 2012 titled Urban Earth. This particular body of work represents a shift in perception, the crossing of a barrier.  Where once I thought I could only be mesmerized by the giants of nature (ocean, mountain top or redwood forest), I found myself able to experience the same magnificence in the small.

I recently sold another painting from this body of work (thank you!):
wheel of hope, 24x24, acrylic on canvas,, framed

I have 6 more pieces available in this series:

warm release, 20x16, acrylic on canvas, framed, 795.


where two meet, 16X20, acrylic on canvas, framed, 795.


fruitful, 16X20, acrylic on canvas, framed, 795.


in reverence, 16x20, acrylic on canvas, framed, 795.


imperfect collection: Lake Superior, 10x23, graphite, watercolor and acrylic on  paper, 295.


imperfect collection, 16x20, graphite, watercolor and acrylic on paper, 395.

Comments

Popular Posts