mixing it up: creating from the left

sly eye, original drawing on 9X12 art paper

I am so inspired by children's art.  This isn't new news to any of you, I know.  I wish, so much, I could create as they do, completely uninhibited and free.  Children are full of inspiration.  I love what I recently read by Agnes Martin.  She said, and I am paraphrasing here, that children have an easier ability to "respond to higher feelings".

I LOVE Thanksgiving.  It's my favorite holiday and a perfect way for me to begin, what can be, the hustle and bustle of a busy holiday season.  One of my traditions on Thanksgiving is creating solely for the pleasure of creating.  

Yesterday, I decided to draw, color and paint exclusively with my left hand (my nondominant hand).  This was evident at the end of the day when my left hand became cramped (I was using muscles I wasn't used to using) and I could feel the start of a callus forming on my middle finger (yes, I had been clutching my creative utensils too tightly, for sure). 

Over the course of my creative sessions, I still noticed my need to control.  I hope to continue this process.  In fact, I am contemplating creating a painting series on canvas using the same method.  For now, I hope to loosen up, even more, letting go of the critical mind and my strong urge to stay in control.


squatty strut (with determination), original drawing on 10X8 art paper
These two original drawings can be found in my etsy shop.

Hope you all had a LOVEly holiday!

See other works created yesterday here and here.

Read this post to view current art sales.

Comments

Popular Posts