creative commitments and DECEMBER

my first attempt at my December commitment: a menorah (for Caitlyn)
paper bag, sharpee, colored pencils, mounted on 80# cardstock

I started my creative commitment for December yesterday.  I have NEVER allowed myself to do something quite like this before.  I have always wanted to take the time to make holiday gifts and never allowed myself the time.  My husband, being a builder and craftsman has (while I've incorporated my design or ideas) but I've never used my own hands.  So, instead of a visual arts practice, this time, I am going to get a bit crafty (who would have thought?).  This is really pushing the envelope for me.  I have NEVER considered myself "able" here.  Who knows?  It may or may not work.  But I am going to try.

For the month of November, I committed to a visual journal.  This was probably the most difficult commitment I've made so far.  I have tried to do visual journals in the past.  The one that really took off was THIS one.  I consistently worked on it over an entire summer on the shores of Lake Superior.  I really felt like this one carried a consistent thread of material.  All the others I have started and I haven't finished.  This time, in November, I completed 30 entries.  I am not sure if I'll continue or if I do, how it will evolve.

a tall order, entry #25 in my visual journal this past month

I loved where the October Project took me this year.  I am also really fond of and attached to these beauties (from my November commitment last year).  Three of them are in the Small Works exhibit at the Chait Galleries Downtown this holiday (by the way, I am represented by Chait.  You can find the direct link to my artist page here).  Aren't the frames fun?  They were made to order by this company here.  These 6 x 6 portraits turned out to be manifestations of personality characteristics in myself and others who are close to me.  I found that many of these personas were a warm welcome over the cold and bitter winter months in Minnesota.  Some of these portraits are available for sale in my etsy shop.

they didn't understand.  she wasn't from here.

If you are creating your own gifts this holiday, I'd love to hear from you and exchange ideas.
Until tomorrow's post....
Keep creating...everyday

Comments

Popular Posts