for the love of milkweed

milkweed, sketchbook, day 3

I love milkweed.  I could probably complete an entire series on milkweed.  In fact, I think this potential series has been marinating for some time now.  Most people beautify their outdoor environments with an assortment of colorful flora.  
My husband and I believe the more milkweed, the better.
  
Flowering milkweed is quite spectacular to see and touch.  The leaves have such an unusual pattern.  They are also so large and strong, yet so soft.  The pods carry such delight and expand with the seeds into perfect silky, fluffy goodness.  An empty pod cannot help but prompt a young imagination: it's a boat for an elf! (or a gnome as my grandmother would have said)

I love milkweed so much I am attempting to grow it in the winter months in my home - another one of my "winter experiments".



To view more visuals of milkweed see my flickr set here.



Comments

Popular Posts