one thing leads to another




So I've been extremely curious about the book How To Be An Explorer of the World by Keri Smith. I looked into it and loved the idea behind it as well as the choice of presentation but it didn't really grab me as some books do*. I figured I'd check out the bibliography in the back and came across a few books. I reserved them from the library. One came in today: Learning by Heart, by Corita Kent and Jan Steward. In my opinion, the cover just doesn't do it justice, and, for now, I have just perused the pages, however, I did come across this and I want to post it NOW:

IMMACULATE HEART COLLEGE
ART DEPARTMENT RULES
Rule 1. Find a place you trust and then try trusting it for awhile.
Rule 2. General duties of a student: Pull everything out of your teacher.
Pull everything out of your fellow students.
Rule 3. General duties of a teacher: Pull everything out of your students.
Rule 4. Consider everything an experiment.
Rule 5. Be self disciplined. This means finding someone wise or smart and choosing to follow them. To be disciplined is to follow in a good way. To be self disciplined is to follow in a better way.
Rule 6. Nothing is a mistake. There's no win and no fail. There's only make.
Rule 7. The only rule is work. If you work it will lead to something. It's the people who do all of the work all the time who eventually catch on to things.
Rule 8. don't try to create and analyze at the same time. They're two different processes.
Rule 9. Be happy whenever you can manage it. Enjoy yourself. It's lighter than you think.
Rule 10. "We're breaking all of the rules. Even our own rules and how do we do that? By leaving plenty of room for x quantities." - John Cage

These "rules" also included some "helpful hints". They are as follows:

Helpful Hints: Always be around. Come and go to everything. Always go to classes. Read anything you can get your hands on. Look at movies carefully, often. Save everything - it might come in handy later. There should be new rules next week.


Of course, I am not taking all these rules to heart nor do I appreciate all the helpful hints. The point is, that this is yet another way of someone or a group of people attempting to do it differently. I appreciate this. I will hold onto these rules in particular: #s 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 10. I am extremely fond of rule 9 and love what rule 8 has to say (I always try to combine those two!) If I change the wording in rule 7 from "work" to "play", I'd take that one on too.
No one has to twist my arm to "look at movies carefully, often" (see helpful hints).

I was wondering how this image was going to fit with this entry. I created this image last night, before I picked up this book at the library today.
I guess it could pass as a heart!
Thank you Sister Corita. I will continue to peruse these pages.

*By the way, I AM inspired by Keri Smith's flickr site! Check it out!

Comments

Popular Posts