my very own cruise ship



Last Saturday I found myself sitting in silence for 3 hours in one of my favorite chairs with one of my favorite quilts.

I read this excerpt in Anne Lamott's Plan B a few days ago:

" ...I take in the comfort of my own home when the world has gotten me down, left me incredulous and defeated. At those times, I make a nest for my baby self on the couch in the living room. I stretch out with a comforter and pillows, and magazines, the cat, unguents, and my favorite drink....These are periods of stress and Twilight Zone isolation...Even at - especially at- these times, I hate to stop, though I know that to go faster and faster and do more is to move in the direction of death. Continuous movement argues a wasted life. And so I try to create a cruise ship, to carry me back toward living...it's unbelievable healing; it resets me. Yet it takes time, at least two hours. You can't rush a cruise ship; you can't hurry doing nothing. After awhile, you see the sweetest, most invigorating thing of all: one person tenderly caring for another, even if it's just me taing care of me on my old couch."

I am so grateful to have someone articulate both the need and results of creating "a cruise ship".
Thank you, Anne Lamott.

Comments

Popular Posts