introducing...an artist interview


Welcome to Wednesday. Create Everyday has officially designated Wednesdays for artist interviews.  Today I am pleased to introduce an interview with Teri Bloch.  
Let's just jump right in, shall we? 

Is there a particular rhythm you have around your creative work time? If so, what does it look like? 

I would say that my rhythm has changed many times over the years and will most likely change again. Currently I would liken it to an irregular heartbeat: fairly steady, with moments of speeding up, a missed beat now and then, and occasionally flat lining. 

How many work spaces do you have and how/why do they work for you?

I work on an easel and a large six foot table. Each gives me a different view and connection to the surface of the piece. I move the panel back and forth between the two often during my process.

Do you do any "cross training" (activities that may enhance or spark your creativity)?

Reading is important for me during down times.  I also take photographs that feed my work.

Where do you seek inspiration for your work?

Inspiration most often comes from unexpected places and usually when I am not seeking it. I just try to be awake for it.

Generally, how long are your work periods?

Well, that depends on how you define work. My mind never stops working which can be exhausting. As far as actual painting time- I can work for about 4-5 hours before my arm starts to tingle. 

When do you know that you need to "take a break" or stop working (for the moment)?

When I’m close to resolving a piece I think if I just do this “one more thing”, but that leads to another “just one more thing” and pretty soon I am obsessed and trying to control my moves too much.  At that point I know it is time to walk away and come back relaxed and fresh at a later time.

Do you suffer from perfectionism and if so, what techniques do you use to manage this? 
If you don't, what experiences do you feel are responsible for taking you off the hook here?

I don’t think perfection exists, at least I hope not. I think beauty and poetry live in imperfection. 
I recommend reading,  Wabi-Sabi: for Artists, Designers, Poets & Philosophers by Leonard Koren

Do you have a creative support system? How important is this to your process?

Absolutely! Without support I would have permanently flat lined a long time ago.

More about Teri Bloch:
Teri Bloch’s distilled urban images are inspired by her daily commute into Northeast Minneapolis. Conveying a sense of frozen time, she attempts to capture a glimpse of the activities and fragments of city life.  This series is on ongoing exploration into how the dialogue between space, color, form and line communicate perceptions that have been influenced by an internal dynamic. The paintings are acrylic on wood panels and canvas.

Teri received her Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the University of Minnesota. Her Studio is located in the Historic Northrup King Building.  It is open to the public from 
5-9 p.m. on the first Thursday of every month, during NE Minneapolis Arts District Gallery events, and by appointment.

 www.teribloch.com
 https://www.facebook.com/NorthrupKingBuilding




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts